in 1889, soon after starting SRL parish in a skating rink at Orange and
N. Sixth streets (later replaced by the Fifth Precinct), Rev. James McKeever
found living quarters at 22 Bathgate Place (above) and began celebrating
weekday Mass in the parlor, using the dining room as a confessional.
This house would be used as the SRL rectory until 1897, when McKeever relocated
to the upper rooms of what had been the first SRL church at Orange and
Gray streets, that edifice having just been converted to SRL School.
But that's another story.